Thursday, January 22, 2015

The SSEAYP Diaries: Chit tai, Myanmar

The second day in Myanmar, Dad brought us to the Shwedagon Pagoda. I was wrong when I assumed that Cambodia was all gold, and Myanmar stuck to just jade. The Shwedagon Pagoda shone under the light (and unbearable heat) of the sun.

In the car, we started our own version of 'dubsmash' and mouthed all the words to Backstreet Boys songs playing on the radio. Humaira (my sister) was judging us.


Yes I was still walking around with two cameras and a phone. I narrowed it down to two. Still crazy. I took more instant polaroid pictures though, because the architecture was beyond beautiful. Hiked up barefoot (IN THE SUN!!!) to the top of the Pagoda and I was surrounded by the beautiful ivory temples with glorious golden stupas.



















I was completely at home, snapping away. The ridiculously surreal blue sky was a gorgeous contrast to the glittering gold of the temple. Humaira had to keep running after me and making sure I wasn't getting lost somewhere.





(That's a monk in the midst of meditation, super cool. He looked like someone out of a Chinese warrior movie lol)







Yes, I had a whole multitude of photographs (along with the ones above).


We made our way home after, and we were completely exhausted.



Dinner was yet again amazing. And I probably grew a whole lot fatter - hello sambal prawns . 

The final day in Myanmar, we only had time for breakfast before all of us had to pile into the small car (my brother sat in the back with the luggages) and make our way back through the horrific traffic to the ship.



Unfortunately the low tide meant a delay in departure, so our families stayed around for a pretty long time. Dad actually left and promised he'd come back at night before we departed. Especially since all of us had to assemble in the hall to wait for further instructions.

He did come back and me and Yana had to yell at him from the deck like banshees because he couldn't see us.

It was a bittersweet goodbye; the whole family (yes even our grandparents) made it. Humaira started crying when she said goodbye, and so did we. Sigh.

Goodbyes suck. But my experience there was a total opposite.


No comments:

Post a Comment